Pet Lovers

Dog Got Stung by a Bee? Here is What You should Do

Dogs, being a curious creature, love chasing everything that is moving. Little do they know that not everything that moves appreciates their attention.

While playing in a garden with our fluffy friend we often find them running after a bee or wasp. They put their maximum effort to get their prey. However, bees do not like any interruption while flying and may leave a nasty sting on your dog’s mouth, paw, or any other area for their protection.

Bee stings can be painful for your dog but if you handle the situation carefully they may get relief in a few hours. However, multiple bee stings or a sting inside the mouth can be dangerous so it must be treated immediately. Here is the step by step guide to what you should do when your dog is stung by a bee.

Steps to Follow When Your Dog is Stung by a Bee

Seeing your fluffy friend in pain may hurt you as well. But all you can do to relieve the pain when your dog gets stung by a bee is follow the steps given below and check their condition from time to time.

  1. Don’t Panic

No doubt, we all love our dogs, and seeing them get hurt can be a painful experience for all of us. Many people experience this pain in their lives so do the dogs. Bee stings hurt only during the first two hours after that swelling may increase but the pain subsides.

So, with this information that it may not hurt as much as it may look, try to be composed and calm when you see your dog in pain with a swollen body area. As a dog owner, you should be responsible enough to take care of the situation by remaining cool. Only then you can work on reducing your dog’s ache.

  1. Look for the Affected Area

You can help your dog only if you know what’s causing the pain. Often people confuse a minor pain due to any other issue with a bee sting. If you are unaware of how a stung area looks like then Google it and click on the images to have an idea of how it looks.

If your dog is actually bitten by a bee then you will notice the following signs.

  • A heated red area
  • Swelling and puffiness of the bitten part
  • Holding up the affected area
  • Trying to get your attention
  • Groaning because of the pain
  • Drooling more than usual

If your dog shows these symptoms then he has been stung by a bee. Observe the affected area to get ready to treat it accordingly. Most dogs get bitten by a bee on their nose when they try to catch them with their mouth, their back when they sit on them accidentally, and their paw when they try to smash them.

  1. Scrape Off the Bee Sting

Bees often leave their sting in the skin of the person they bite. So, carefully examine the swollen area of your dog to see if it has any sting or not. A sting can transmit venom into your dog’s body which may cause even more pain. So, removing it as soon as possible is highly essential to bring your dog out of this painful condition.

You’ll also like:  Are standard poodles good family dogs?

To scrape off the bee sting use something hard like cardboard and carefully remove the sting by putting only a little pressure. You can also use tweezers if you know how to hold it. Whatever you use to remove the sting, make sure you avoid inducing more pain.

  1. Put Ice on the Affected/Swollen Area

The venom of the sting will cause pain and swelling in the affected area. Your dog’s immune system will also show a reaction against this venom. This is the reaction that leads to puffiness and redness. Swelling of a certain area will also feel uncomfortable, itchy, and painful to your dog.

The best thing you will find at home to reduce this pain is an icepack. Put it over the swollen area. It will diminish the pain eventually. You can also put cold water on that area or a wet towel. It will bring comfort to your dog and he will be at ease soon.

  1. Keep a Keen Eye on Your Dog’s Condition

Pain may affect your dog’s mood. Due to which it will avoid playing, eating, and drinking. As a dog owner, provide your dog with plenty of fresh cool water and keep him hydrated. If its mouth is stung by the bee then feed him soft items.

During the first few hours, keep a keen eye on your dog’s condition. Usually, swelling and pain due to bee stings leave on their own. But in rare cases, a dog may show a severe reaction to them. Vomiting, unconsciousness, a lot of swelling and redness, and troubled breathing due to swelling of the throat are the basic symptoms of a severe allergic reaction in dogs.

  1. Visit Your Vet If You Notice a Severe Allergic Reaction

If your dog is showing any of the above-mentioned symptoms then do not wait long and visit the nearest vet immediately. Based on your dog’s condition they will design a treatment plan. It may include anti-allergy medications, injection of fluids, and certain tests to detect if there is any internal damage or not. They will keep your dog at the hospital until its condition gets better.

What to Do to Prevent a Bee Sting

You may think that your dog will not chase bees again after having one bad experience but he will prove you wrong the next time he sees a bee. He will run after it without the fear of getting stung again. But if your dog is careless then you should not be.

Try to keep your dog inside during the season gardens have more bees than usual. Do not let your dog go near a beehive if you see it growing near your home. If you still find your dog chasing a bee then divert his attention away to avoid another unfortunate event from happening!

Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close